๐ป Breaking Barriers in Tech: An Interview with Deaf Tech Creator Joshua
Representation in tech matters, but true accessibility is something U.S. are still actively building. Recently, I had the privilege of connecting digitally with Joshua, a Deaf tech content creator, hardware configuration technician, and streamer who is bridging the gap between tech accessibility and American Sign Language (ASL). In this insightful Q&A session, he opened up about his journey from gaming to cybersecurity, the realities of being a Deaf creator on platforms like Twitch and YouTube, and why accessibility tools ultimately benefit everyone. Here is our conversation on breaking barriers, building PCs, and defying misconceptions in the tech world.
──────────────────── Start of Interview ─────────────────────
Q. To start off, can you introduce yourself and share a bit about your journey into content creation/streaming? What drew you to combining tech accessibility with ASL for your content?
I wanted to create the kind of content I rarely saw growing up. I hope Deaf children and adults can see someone like them building PCs, learning cybersecurity, exploring cloud technology, and creating content. I want them to know that being Deaf does not limit what they can achieve. I also understand that some Deaf creators prefer to remain faceless, and that's okay too. Everyone should create content in a way that feels comfortable to them.
I wanted to create the kind of content I rarely saw growing up. I hope Deaf children and adults can see someone like them building PCs, learning cybersecurity, exploring cloud technology, and creating content. I want them to know that being Deaf does not limit what they can achieve. I also understand that some Deaf creators prefer to remain faceless, and that's okay too. Everyone should create content in a way that feels comfortable to them.
Q. What originally sparked your interest in technology, especially areas like PC builds, cloud, and cyber?
| Joshua doing a first PC build on a budget. Screenshot from his YouTube Video |
Q. As a Deaf creator, how has your experience shaped the way you approach content creation? Are there things you do differently that hearing creators might not think about?
Joshua: Being Deaf has shaped the way I create content. I always think about accessibility and making information easy to understand. I also want people to feel included regardless of whether they're Deaf, hard of hearing, or hearing. I hope my content encourages empathy and helps people see that Deaf people are just as capable as anyone else. Representation matters because many Deaf children don't often see Deaf creators in technology.
Q. Accessibility is a big part of your work. What does making tech accessible mean to you in a practical, day-to-day sense?
Joshua: To me, accessibility means making technology easier for everyone to understand and use. In my daily life, that includes captions, sign language, visual explanations, and clear communication. Accessibility benefits everyone—not just Deaf people. It creates better communication and helps people from different backgrounds connect with one another.
Q. What are some common misconceptions or myths people have about being Deaf that you wish more people understood?
Joshua: One common misconception is that Deaf people cannot succeed in leadership, content creation, streaming, entrepreneurship, or technology careers. Some people assume our disability limits what we can accomplish, but that isn't true.
I want people to understand that Deaf people are just as capable as hearing people. We simply communicate differently. With accessibility, equal opportunities, and the right support, Deaf people can become engineers, business owners, creators, teachers, or anything else they choose.
I also wish more people wouldn't panic when they meet a Deaf person. Many people immediately say, "Oh, I'm sorry," or think communication will be impossible. In reality, we can communicate through sign language, writing, texting, captions, or interpreters. Communication may be different, but it is absolutely possible.
Q. On the flip side, what are some unique strengths or positive experiences you’ve gained from being Deaf?
Joshua: Being Deaf has made me a strong visual learner and problem solver. I learned ASL at school and later taught my parents sign language so we could communicate better at home. That experience taught me patience, responsibility, and leadership. Being part of the Deaf community has also given me confidence and a sense of belonging. It inspired me to create content in ASL because I want Deaf children and adults to see someone like them working in technology, building PCs, and creating content. I hope my journey encourages others to believe they can achieve their goals too.
Joshua playing Farlight 84 and got 14 k!lls in one match. Screenshot from his YouTube video Q. What challenges have you faced either in your career, content creation, or everyday life? How have you learned to navigate or overcome them? Joshua: One challenge has been finding my career path. I graduated with a bachelor's degree in Computer and Information Science, but after graduation I realized I had forgotten much of my coding because I wasn't using it every day. Instead of giving up, I accepted a Hardware Configuration Technician role. Through that job, I gained hands-on experience configuring IP cameras, assigning IP addresses, troubleshooting networks, and working with routers and switches. That experience helped me discover that I enjoy networking more than software development. Creating content has also been challenging. I work full time, so I have to balance my job with making videos and occasionally streaming. Sometimes my live streams have very few viewers, especially because the Deaf community on Twitch is relatively small and people are in different time zones. Those experiences have taught me resilience, consistency, and patience. I've learned that I don't have to be perfect. I just have to keep learning and improving every day. |
Q. You mentioned a love for travel, what has your experience been like traveling as a Deaf individual? How do you handle communication in places where there may be language or accessibility barriers?
Joshua: Although I haven't traveled internationally yet, I look forward to doing so in the future. Technology has made communication much easier for Deaf travelers through translation apps, captions, texting, and video relay services.
If I visit countries like Japan, South Korea, or others, I would enjoy connecting with the local Deaf community. I know every country has its own sign language, so I would be excited to learn about their culture and meet new people. If needed, I could also communicate through writing, translation apps, or interpreters.
| Joshua visited Mt. Washington State Park Screenshot from his YouTube video |
Q. Recently, Disney adapted some of their songs into sign language and TV shows like Last of Us, featured on-screen interpreters. How do you feel about this shift toward accessibility becoming more visible in mainstream media?
Joshua: Of course, I think it's wonderful, especially for Deaf children. When I was growing up, we mostly relied on captions, but sometimes captions were difficult to understand, especially for young children.
For many years, Deaf parents had to read the captions and translate them into sign language for their children. Seeing Disney adapt animation into sign language for the first time is very meaningful. I believe many Deaf parents feel happy and excited because this kind of representation is something we haven't seen before.
That's why accessibility is so important. It helps Deaf children understand, feel included, and enjoy the same experiences as everyone else
Q. For other Deaf or hard-of-hearing individuals who might want to start creating content or enter the tech field, what advice would you give them?
Joshua: My advice is simple: don't be afraid to start.
You don't need to be perfect before creating content or starting a career in technology. Be yourself instead of trying to copy other people. Keep learning, be consistent, and share your own experiences.
Everyone has something valuable to contribute.
Q. Looking ahead, what are your goals, either for your content or your own personal journey? What kind of impact do you hope to have?
Joshua: My goal is to inspire more Deaf people to pursue careers in technology and to show that Deaf individuals can succeed in many different fields.
Through my content, I hope to encourage children, teenagers, and adults to believe in themselves. Whether they want to become engineers, gamers, creators, or something completely different, I want them to know they are capable.
Q. Is there anything else you would like to add that we did not touch on about your experience as a Deaf content creator or in general?
Joshua: I'd also like to talk about my experience with Twitch.
I first started streaming in 2016 while playing Overwatch. At that time, I didn't show my face and found it difficult to grow an audience. Streaming wasn't financially sustainable, so I eventually stopped.
I returned in 2023 and decided to challenge myself by showing my face and signing on camera. It was scary because sometimes nobody watched my stream, and other times I only received spam messages.
One challenge is that many Deaf people don't use Twitch as often as YouTube, so the audience is naturally smaller. There are only a small number of Deaf streamers, which makes representation even more important.
Although Twitch was challenging, it helped me develop new skills. I learned video editing, subtitles, captions, and accessibility tools. Those experiences eventually inspired me to focus more on YouTube and educational content.
| Watch the video of Joshua A Day A Life! Screenshot from his YouTube Channel |
──────────────────────── End of Interview ──────────────────
FOLLOW Joshua
TwitchTikTok
Youtube
Comments
Post a Comment