🧩 Interview with Galactoid: A Tetris Expert & Guidebook Author

Image Credit Gwen_30 Pixabay

Happy World Tetris Day! 


Tetris may look like a simple puzzle game at first glance, but for dedicated players, it can become a world filled with strategy, creativity, and endless learning. In this interview, I spoke with Galactoid, a Tetris guide creator, researcher, and longtime player known for writing extensive Tetris guides. We talked about how they first discovered Tetris, what makes the game so fascinating at a high level, and the life lessons they’ve learned through years of playing and studying one of the world’s most iconic puzzle games.


──────────────────────────────────────────────────────

Q. Can you start by introducing yourself and sharing your journey with Tetris?

Galactoid: Hi! I’m a 7-time Tetris guidebook author from Singapore in my late 30s and the

founder of both howtotetris.com and galactoidtetris.wordpress.com!

I have also published many spiritual and philosophical dark fantasy novels, once

taught sociology and economics courses at a university, and am now writing a Tetris

spiritual and philosophical novel.

I briefly played some Game Boy Tetris when I was very young, but I only played a

few games and never really knew it was Tetris. I didn’t get into it back then. Of

relevance (which you will see below), I penned a Puyo Puyo guide when I was 6

years old.

I officially started playing Tetris around 2018 to 2019, my first real, committed Tetris

game being Puyo Puyo Tetris. I was primarily drawn to it because I played the Puyo

Puyo series when I was young. Originally, I wanted to main Puyo Puyo, but when I

got into matches versus Tetris players, I realized Tetris had a phenomenal speed

advantage, decimating Puyo Puyo players. Hence, I began playing Tetris, my first

match against the Taiwanese Tetris legend, PokeDialga, and, of course, I lost.

I didn’t know why I got so passionate about Tetris, but during the first week, I trained

myself to make 8 back-to-back perfect clears. By the second day, I could already

make T-spins. By the third, I could create T-spin triples mid-game. Then, by the

second week, I had already memorized nearly 50 openers.

Over the years, I compiled a journal of many Tetris methods and experimented with

them. I didn’t know what they were for at first, but I later realized I could publish them

on my Galactoid Tetris WordPress website, which I did. Over many years, as I

became more proficient in Tetris, the number of guides grew from just one to the

hundred that the website has today.

I originally wanted to quit Tetris to focus on my passion for creative writing and

spiritual development (I’m highly spiritual, deeply enamored of Eastern philosophy,

and have had 8 out-of-body (OBE) experiences and many psychic experiences

throughout my life, though I won’t publicly reveal the specifics).

Subsequently, various people and the community wanted me to share more of my

Tetris ideas. Hence, I started writing the How-to-Tetris guidebook series, which

emerged today as the most comprehensive and authoritative Tetris research

worldwide. I have also created nearly 70 Tetris video tutorials on my relatively new

GalactoidTetris YouTube channel.


I honestly never expected that something so small – Tetris – would evolve into an

entire ecosystem of books, videos, and websites. More importantly, Tetris has guided

my philosophy, and I am now busily penning a philosophical and spiritual Tetris novel

to impart my perspectives and offer solutions to many psychological and sociological

problems.


The Tao of Tetris The Laws of Spiritual Reality book.


Q. For people who may not know much about Tetris, what makes Tetris so fun and challenging at a high competitive level?

Galactoid: I won’t say Tetris is entirely fun at a high competitive level – the not-so-obvious genre

that the game falls into is a horror game. High-level competitive Tetris can be

extremely off-putting for many people who aren’t prepared for the horrors of facing

monsters that can demolish you in a few seconds in a Tetris match.

To my knowledge, Tetris is an extremely casual game. Only the top 0.1 to 1% involve

themselves very seriously in competitive Tetris. This is not a far-fetched statement,

since I estimate that 90% of Tetris players are so mega-casual that they can’t even

make T-spins, a central Tetris technique. Most people see Tetris as a social game to

have fun casually and interact with each other – they won’t diligently study what a DT

Cannon or Imperial Cross technique is.

But, I suppose, that for those who are really competitive, it’s the opportunity to keep

improving, building on one’s knowledge to optimize and min-max the game in every

way until they have become god-like. It’s just like Chess – you gain more knowledge,

build upon it, and push the limits. But even that is a glorification – I have seen too

many serious, competitive players quit over the years. Many high-level players I

once knew 6 years ago are no longer playing Tetris.

In summary, most people treat Tetris as a video game, but not a puzzle game – they

get immersed in the spectacle of Tetris Effect, but won’t memorize even an opener.

But if they get serious, the intense grind of securing a high Ultra score or a 40-line

sprint can burn them out.


Q. You’ve spent years creating Tetris guides and studying strategies. What inspired you to start teaching other players?


Galactoid: 
To be honest, I never really actively taught other players much. I might have coached

a few people, but my way of teaching aligns with the Tao of Eastern philosophy: by

not teaching.

A flower doesn’t need to grow legs to seek people out and ask them if it smells good.

Instead, a flower only needs to spread its redolence, and people will come to it. They

only need to be a flower; they needn’t try to be a flower.


For my case, I never really actively desired to teach. The essence of my teaching

came from me just dumping my knowledge and experience on my websites and

books. People just came to them, and I never sought players to teach.

It has kind of reached a stage in life where I prefer to focus on the process and

being, rather than the outcome and becoming.

So, just by playing Tetris, and personifying my experience and manifesting my

wisdom through it, people learn from my gameplay (through my streams or YouTube

tutorial videos). It’s something I have learned from creative writing: show and don’t

tell. By showing my gameplay instead of delivering hours of lectures, I accomplish

more through inaction than through action.


Q. Do you have any memorable Tetris moments that you would like to share?


Galactoid: 
I have had many Tetris moments, but my conception of time isn’t linear – it’s holistic

and processual.

To me, time doesn’t follow the ticks of a chronometer. Moments do not appear to me

as milestones – hence, I never actively chased a 40-line sprint personal best or other

overt achievements. When you actively chase something, like an end goal, you

forget the process, never truly living, but are just existing. The present, the now,

becomes filtered out (just like how many people doomscroll social media until they

forget the moment).

To me, I don’t need milestones; instead, I just immerse myself completely in the

sheer delight of being in the moment. When you see me play Tetris, I mostly don’t

force setups; I make setups based on the flow, choosing the optimal method given

what the previews and fields allow. Every moment is a gong that reverberates

through time: when I play Tetris, I experience the eternal in the now, and therefore

never really need any memorable Tetris moments to feel accomplished.

Even “memorable” moments like the day I published my Tetris guidebooks, made my

first Tetris tutorial videos, or made 100 T-spins in a Tetris 99 match resonate little

with me. They are just proxies – poor surrogates – for the actual experience of Tetris

in the now. When one fully embraces the Tao of Tetris, they don’t need specific

memorable moments: every second is.

"G" for Galactoid


Q. What do you think separates a casual Tetris player from an expert player?


Galactoid: 
A casual Tetris player spends many weeks playing like a child.

Intermediate Tetris players spend many years trying to play like an expert, like Kazu.

But truly expert players spend a lifetime playing Tetris like a child again.


That’s the core distinction: when you first master any skill as a casual or semi-casual

intermediate player, you might go all fancy with many fancy setups to impress others.

However, they often cannot create setups reliably by ensuring that all components:

proper stacking, timing, piece and field dependencies, and safety, all fuse into a

harmonious moment where the setup becomes successful.

Expert players no longer force that. They already know the nature of Tetris lies in its

flow. Hence, they force nothing, only creating setups that are optimal at the right time

and place, without deliberately trying to be fancy. The fanciness comes inadvertently

as a natural coincidence, but not as a forced consequence.

Simply put, casuals and intermediate players treat Tetris as a puzzle to be studied.

Experts realize you can’t study Tetris: you must bend and flow with it, because

experience is the essence of reality. You don’t stop a process by observing it; you

flow and dissolve into it.


Q. Many people see Tetris as a puzzle game. What are some things about Tetris that would surprise most people?


Galactoid: 
As mentioned earlier, I feel that most people see Tetris first and foremost as a video

game, and second as a puzzle game.

Most people are drawn to Tetris for its theatrics and storylines. Hence, people are

drawn to Puyo Puyo Tetris 1, 2, & 2S for its cute cartoon graphics and narratives.

Then others are drawn to Tetris Effect: Connected for its stunning visuals and

soundtrack. That’s the issue: they see Tetris as a video game and play it like The

Elder Scrolls: Skyrim or Marvel Rivals.

But, only a tiny percentage take Tetris seriously, as a puzzle game, just like Chess.

This is the greatest paradox: that the visuals and video-game vibe of Tetris draws

people in. Yet it’s its puzzle-game nature that keeps people engaged. However, I feel

that the Tetris Company is marketing Tetris incorrectly by appealing to the former

through horizontal expansion rather than the latter through vertical integration. If the

Tetris Company reads this, I could offer them my serious feedback to them.

Perhaps, the greatest surprise of Tetris to most people is that they think Tetris is just

about that 4-line Tetris line clear. They think Tetris is just about stacking up, leaving a

hole on the right side, then inserting I-minos to score Tetrises. When they play

modern Tetris, they realize there’s a whole lot more going on: T-spins, back-to-backs,

combos, perfect clears, all-spins, and so forth.

This is one misconception I want people to understand: Tetris isn’t just a simple

video game. Instead, it’s a complex, multifaceted spatial-reasoning puzzle game that

matches the depth and complexity of Chess. To market Tetris and let it grow further,

people must understand that Tetris is fundamentally a puzzle game first, and a video

game second.


Q. On your website, you mention that you enjoy puzzles, philosophy, and learning in general. Do those interests influence the way you approach Tetris?


Galactoid: 
There is no “philosophy” or “Tetris” or “any other discipline.”

Just as, for the case of a plant, there is no “plant” and “non-plant.” The plant draws

its water and nutrients from the soil, and air and sunlight from the surroundings.

When it perishes, it returns to the all-that-there-is. Simply put, there is no “this” or

“that” – there’s only a cosmic oneness, where everything is integral and vital to an

inseparable whole.

I understand the question of how other disciplines and interests affect my approach

to Tetris.

And my answer to that is that there is no “Tetris” or “non-Tetris.” Everything about

Tetris concerns life, just as life concerns Tetris. I published a free spiritual book, The

Tao of Tetris, on my website that explains how life reflects many of Tetris’ spiritual

themes, and vice versa.

For instance, the spiritual principle of cause and effect (so-called “karma”) arises in

Tetris when you keep making the same terrible habit of stacking in a jagged manner,

which cripples your long-term follow-up continuations. This then leads to a higher

loss rate, and you carry forth this karmic tendency to all future games until you break

it.

The same is for many Tetris setups like DT Cannons or the ultra-advanced ones like

Andromeda, which I researched – the spiritual principle of oneness is at play here.

They are all composites of T-spins, just like how the entire cosmos is made of

discrete components that think they are separate, but they are not. Hence, they

come together in a spiritual or cosmic synergy and cooperation.

To play Tetris fully is to become the Tao of Tetris – where you embody the cosmos’

ever-expanding consciousness in your every action, paralleling that in Tetris.

Hence, many people approach Tetris in a competitive and technical manner – they

like to break down why a method is not optimal, how to min-max everything, and how

to beat top players like Amemiya.

This arises when you have a highly materialistic and achievement-oriented mentality.

However, as you gain sophistication and complexity in life and incorporate many

other fields and philosophies, your perspective expands beyond the material into the

spiritual realm.

You are no longer a player who seeks to win in Tetris. Instead, you are an

infinitesimal fragment of an eternal cosmic consciousness manifesting itself through

you. Hence, milestones, scores, or winning no longer matter. All that matters is the

sheer presence of experiencing Tetris, flowing with it, and no longer against it.

To summarize, the more perspectives you have, the more holistic and expansive you

will approach Tetris, just like life. For instance, in life, what was once a black-and-

white morality, a materialistic rat race, or relational drama becomes a conduit for

transcendence and manifestation, where you express the all in the one and

celebrate the uniqueness of the one in the all.

Screenshot from YouTube Video
Mid-Game C-Spins (Intermediate Tetris T-Spin Guide) 


Q. Out of all the different Tetris games you’ve played, do you have a favorite version and why?


Galactoid: 
I won’t say I have a favorite.

After playing Tetris for so long, I’m kind of bored with the game and am slowly

moving on to other things. I only stream and play Tetris once or twice per month –

just during my monthly Twitch streams.

Hence, for me, the question is not which Tetris game I favor the most, but what I hate

the least.

And, for me, it’s Tetris 99.

Because, in Tetris 99, you don’t know who you’re facing until after the match ends

(unless you know you’re being sniped). And that’s awesome, as that means you

don’t develop competitiveness or rivalry. Also, the game doesn’t have a rating

system (it only has a level system, which has a near-zero correlation with skill).

Hence, you don’t worry about metrics: win rates, beating someone, or reaching a

certain APM (attack per minute).

You just play.

And playing is the ultimate expression of being, since it has no goals and no

attachments.


Q. What advice would you give to someone who wants to improve at Tetris, but feels overwhelmed by all the advanced techniques?


Galactoid: 
Less is more.

In my experience and observations of many Tetris players, they try to learn way too

many methods all at once. Then, they try to create a thousand and one methods in

Tetris, but ultimately fail.

My view is that one should not fear the person who knows 10,000 methods, but the

player who has practiced a single method 10,000 times.


In high-level Tetris, a vast majority of mid-game Tetris methods are simple T-spins

and Tetrises. The extremely fancy or complex ones are used only sometimes, and

are eventually picked up by players as they gain experience. These methods should

only be used at the right time and under the right circumstances, and should never,

ever be forced.

If one has to be more technical, my 7+ years of Tetris experience can be summed up

in just two areas to work on: parity management (handling field jaggedness) and field

harmony (stacking in relatively flat patterns). I have covered these two in my guides

– just by focusing on these two, which is relatively easy, everything else follows.

They are great because they don’t make your gameplay improve directly. Instead,

they let you build in a way that opens up so many more opportunities, so that you

have many more choices to automatically improve your gameplay.

Hence, by learning just these two dimensions, you metaphorically make your farm’s

soil more fertile, which creates more opportunities for harvest, even if it doesn’t

directly sell your crops.


Q. Is there anything else you would like to add that we did not touch on about your journey or Tetris in general?


Galactoid: 
Just a final word and piece of advice for players: please don’t take Tetris way too

seriously.

It’s just like life itself – most people worldwide (and I know this as my country,

Singapore, is super-materialistic) focus on outward achievements. They use labels,

brands, prestige, salary, membership, organization, nationality, religion, political

affiliation, achievements, and so forth (basically, external things) as a substitute for

life. I think that’s ridiculous, as life’s only purpose is life itself – you can’t put a price

tag on people, such as their net worth, to evaluate their value.

Life is just inherently valuable and worthwhile.

And when you attach all these external labels to yourself and actively seek them out,

it creates an endless cycle of wants that lead to more wants and attachments. And

when one doesn’t get them, they get disappointed.

The same is with Tetris: I have observed way too many people who quit or rage or

get into dramas over Tetris, over grinding for their TETR.IO or other Tetris games’

ratings, or try to get world records. Ultimately, they think enjoying Tetris equates to

these proxies or surrogates for the goal of just having fun, per se. Then, they get

burned out and quit.

Ultimately, Tetris is an end in itself – not a conduit for many means and external

achievements. Playing Tetris is its own reward.

Hence, if you’re not having fun by playing Tetris, such as by obsessing over scores, it

helps to take a break and decenter yourself from such attachments. Take a long sabbatical, then return months later to enjoy playing the game-as-it-is and not the

game-as-it-must.

──────────────────────── End of Interview ──────────────────────


Want to Learn More?

Galactoid’s Ultimate Tetris Guidebook Series Website
Galactoid's Tetris Guides and Research
Purchase Galactoid's Guides on Amazon

Follow Galactoid
YouTube
TikTok 
Twitter
Facebook
Twitch
Instagram


*Originally published on Twitch Team Happy People Discord Server

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

🌱 Meet the Founder of Aloe Bud: A Deep Dive into the Self-Care App

🦇 The Story Behind Self Care Vampire | Indie Developer Interview